Hardwood floors are always pleasing from an aesthetic point of view, and they can enhance both the image and the property value of your home. Hardwood floors can add beauty to any room, but sometimes they can be difficult to clean without damaging their finish. Sweeping hardwood floors is often the go-to for keeping them clean, but sweeping only gets rid of visible surface dust, allowing dust to settle in nooks and crannies, which can increase allergy symptoms in those with dust allergies. Using the best vacuum for hardwood floors can save you a lot of time when cleaning. However, most models are designed for vacuuming carpets only. To protect your hardwood floor, go for a vacuum that’s designed specifically to clean hardwood floors without damaging the surface.
Tips for choosing the best vacuum for hardwood floors
- Choose a vacuum that comes with versatile attachments because hardwood floors need a lot of work.
- Make sure that the vacuum includes a large suction head that hasn’t got a larger spinning beater brush because this can produce scratches. Do this by reading what the accessories include.
- Look for attachments destined to help you clean the edges and corners such as a crevice tool, medium-sized brush heads and a soft brush for suction.
- Look for rubberized padding around the bottom and sides of the vacuum’s body to prevent damaging the floors.
- Remember that choosing a lightweight vacuum can make the cleaning process easier.
- Choose long extension hoses so you’ll be able to reach all areas of your floors. A short cord length and extension hose will limit your performance.
Best Vacuums for Hardwood Floors 2017
- Best Vacuums for Hardwood Floors 2017
- Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional
- Dirt Devil Razor Pet Steerable Bagless Upright Vacuum UD70355B
- Bissell 1161 Hard Floor Expert Deluxe Canister Vacuum
- Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum 3670G
- ILIFE A4s Robot Vacuum Cleaner
- Eufy HomeVac Lightweight Cordless Upright-Style Vacuum Cleaner
- Hoover Hardwood Floor Cleaner FloorMate SpinScrub
- Hoover Vacuum Cleaner Stick Vacuum SH20030
- Top Recommendation
This is a lightweight 2-in-1 Lift-Away upright vacuum for hardwood floors that comes with a detachable canister for portable cleaning power. The Lift-Away feature allows you to lift the vacuum’s canister away with the press of a button and to easily clean some of the hardest to reach areas from your house. The vacuum includes a Dust-Away hard floor attachment and two washable pads made out of microfiber. The microfiber pads ensure the vacuum picks up both large debris and fine dust from bare floors.
The vacuum’s Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology and its included HEPA filter will make sure that the vacuum traps 99.9% of all the dust and allergens from the floors and keeps them inside the filter. The vacuum is also very powerful and it will make sure to clean everything from your floors.
- The vacuum is very well constructed.
- The extension tube is made of metal, and it’s very resistant to potential damage.
- The Lift-Away canister makes cleaning stairs, blinds, and ceiling easier.
- It provides a lot of suction power.
- Its 30-inch cord is really useful for easier cleaning because you don’t have to keep unplugging and re-plugging it while moving around the house.
What to consider:
- The vacuum can leave brush marks n cut pile carpets, but this probably varies from carpet to carpet.
- It doesn’t come with a soft brush attachment, but it features all the other necessary parts.
Dirt Devil Razor Pet Steerable Bagless Upright Vacuum UD70355B
The Dirt Devil Razor Vac Pet upright is a lightweight vacuum with enough power to make cleaning a breeze. The vacuum offers enough suction power for your hardwood floors and your carpets as well. The vacuum’s low-profile design makes it easy to steer it around and under furniture effortlessly. The SPIN4PRO premium brush roll makes this vacuum ideal for homes with pets because it’s designed and optimized to clean and remove pet hair with high efficiency for both carpets and hardwood floors.
It comes with a Turboclaw Pet tool, and all you have to do is detach the 10-feet cleaning wand and attach the tool for cleaning hard to reach places such as stairs and ceilings. The filtration system makes sure to keep the vacuum running longer and better with little maintenance.
- Due to its powerful suction, it does a great job at cleaning pet hair from both rugs and hardwood.
- The handle comes off, and you can extend it to clean higher places.
- The amount of suction doesn’t decrease while using the small handle brush.
- It’s easy to maintain and clean the vacuum.
- It’s more silent than other models on the market.
- Its swivel head makes it easy to clean around the furniture without having to move it.
What to consider:
- It doesn’t come with lots of accessories, but the ones that are included can be used for a lot of purposes.
Bissell 1161 Hard Floor Expert Deluxe Canister Vacuum
The Bissell vacuum is powerful and manages to clean lots of surfaces delicately, and it also protects them from any damage. The vacuum’s design is compact, and it weighs only 9.1 pounds, so you will be able to maneuver and store it easily. The fingertip control offers you the possibility to power the vacuum and control its suction power to clean more delicate surfaces safer. You can clean drapes and upholstery perfectly.
The rubber wheels and felt threads will not scratch your floors, and the soft bristles on the brush ensure perfect cleaning. The Easy Empty Dirt tank, its automatic cord rewind, and the tools that are included with the vacuum will make cleaning your hard floors a flawless process. The Telescopic Extension Wand provides an extended reach and easier cleaning for your stairs and curtains.
- You can easily adjust the suction power.
- The canister for dust and dirt is well-designed to keep the dust trapped in.
- You can quickly clean the vacuum once you’re done vacuuming your home.
- Its parts can be attached and unattached easily.
- It sucks up all the pet hair from both hardwood floors and carpets.
- The best vacuum for hardwood floors
- It can get under the furniture easily.
- It is effortless to use and clean.
What to consider:
- The dirt cup is not very large, but because it’s so easy to empty, emptying it out isn’t that big of a deal.
- The cord could have been a bit longer, but it won’t be a hassle moving the vacuum around.
Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum 3670G
This is a sleek, compact canister and you can perfectly clean wood floors, bare floors and tiles. The vacuum weighs less than 9 lbs. so it’s easy to move it around the house. Its powerful 12-amp motor can provide powerful and continuous suction for deep cleaning. The blower port can conveniently blow away dirt and debris to easily clean your outdoor spaces and garage. It comes with a crevice tool, a dual purpose dusting brush, and upholstery nozzle to clean all hard-to-reach areas. The extension wand provides a very long reach to remove dirt from all kinds of surfaces.
- Its convenient cord storage feature stores the cord to prevent it from tangling.
- The blower port blows dirt away flawlessly outside the home as well.
- With the two extension wands, you can quickly clean the drapes.
- It is compact and very sturdy for all the cleaning needs around the house.
- It comes with good-quality attachments.
- It can clean pet hair.
- The hose and crevice are ideal for reaching remote areas.
What to consider:
- It’s a little louder than some of the other models, but the difference isn’t that big.
- A more flexible hose would have done the job better, but the one that comes with the vacuum is pretty easily managed once you get used to it.
ILIFE A4s Robot Vacuum Cleaner
The vacuum comes with a few great features including various smart sensors to clean your home thoroughly. It provides enough suction for a concentrated cleaning. The vacuum is very quiet compared to other models that are available on the market. It automatically starts on its schedule program, and it will return to its docking station for recharging whenever the battery runs low. It takes about 140 minutes to be fully recharged.
It also comes with a few smart sensors that can learn your unique home and to avoid bumping around or dropping down the stairs. You can activate the Max mode with a remote controller for maximum pickup of dirt.
- The two-sided brush offers a deep cleaning.
- Its low-profile design allows it to get under the bed and sofa.
- The programmable scheduling allows it to clean when you’re asleep.
- It provides incredible suction power.
- It has a relatively large dust bin.
What to consider:
- It cannot reach all remote places very easily, but if you get used to handling it, you will not have troubles cleaning everything.
Eufy HomeVac Lightweight Cordless Upright-Style Vacuum Cleaner
This vacuum comes with a robust Cyclonic system and with an electric brush, to help you clean the mess quickly. The vacuum uses a HEPA filter to trap and prevent all kinds of allergens including mold spores, dust mites, and pet hair from being released back into the air. The vacuum’s maneuverable swivel head pivots around table legs, and it can easily slide under furniture as well. Sleek upright functionality allows the EufyHomeVac to slip into tight spaces for effortless storage.
- The large 2200 mAh battery delivers increased performance for 50 minutes of vacuuming.
- It cleans the whole house in a single pass.
- It reaches remote spots easily.
- The wall-mounting kit comes in handy.
- The 4LEDS on the front are bright and helpful.
What to consider:
- The vacuum can get clogged with hair and dirt, but you can prevent this if you clean it regularly.
Hoover Hardwood Floor Cleaner FloorMate SpinScrub
This is a 3-in-1 bagless cleaner that vacuum washes and dries your hard floors. It comes with a SpinScrub that can gently wash and scrub surfaces from all angles. The power cord allows you to clean larger rooms without having to unplug the vacuum. You can remove its brushes and nozzles for easy maintenance and cleaning. Its dual tank technology keeps clean and dirty water separate, and this way you will never spill dirty water on the floor.
- It comes with removable brushes and nozzles for easier maintenance.
- It will keep the clean and dirty water in separate locations.
- It is easy to store in small places.
- It can gently scrub sealed wood and vinyl, tiles and grout.
What to consider:
- The squeegee on the front will not work both ways, only when the vacuum is pulled towards you.
Hoover Vacuum Cleaner Stick Vacuum SH20030
This vacuum can transition from hard floors to rugs and carpets easily. With the Extreme Recline Handle, you can reach far under furniture easily. Its Swivel Steering allows you to maneuver around furniture. The vacuum can remove dirt up against edges quickly and efficiently using the edge cleaning bristles. The vacuum weighs only around 9 pounds, so you will be able to carry it around without much hassle.
- It manages to clean pet hair successfully.
- It can reach even the most remote areas in your home.
- It can suck up junk from low-pile carpeting and rugs as well.
- It is easy to clean.
What to consider:
- It doesn’t come with advanced accessories, but for your basic needs it will work fine.
The Corded Bissell 1161 is definitely the best vacuum for hardwood floors due to its advanced features and functionalities such as the digital fingertip controls that allow you to reduce suction power for rugs and delicate surfaces. It’s both powerful with strong suction and delicate at the same time to perfectly clean and protect your floor surfaces with its soft bristles.
Factors to consider when buying a vacuum for hardwood floors
There are several factors to consider before purchasing a vacuum for hardwood floors. For starters, think about what kind of wood you have in your home. Do you have a softer and more delicate wood or a harder, coated type of wood? You will have to make sure that your new vacuum cleaner will be able to accommodate the needs of your floor. Sometimes, you can tell what type of wood your floor is made of by just looking at it. Species such as pine, oak or fir can be easily recognized. To find out what type of hardwood your floor is made of, it’s best to compare the surface with a catalog of wood species. The factors that help identify a species include color, closeness/direction of the grain and hardness. To see whether the flooring board are made from softwood or hardwood, you can push your fingernail into the surface. It will make a dent into softwood, but not in a hardwood.
Another important issue that needs attention is the weight of the vacuum. A lighter vacuum will be your ideal choice to make traveling up and down the stairs and around the house much easier.
You should also think about whether you have carpets as well on your floors. If your home is exclusively with hardwood, any vacuum that works on the hardwood will do just fine. But if you also have carpets, it’s best to choose a model that can adapt to fit that need as well.
If you have pets, then you probably also have lots of pet hair all around the house, and this might be hard to remove from furniture, draperies and stairs. For homes with pets, vacuums designed to handle pet hair will save you lots of time and effort because they usually come with a high-efficiency filter that traps microscopic allergens from pet hair quickly.
You should also consider the amount of filtration power that you need. All vacuums come with at least one level of filtration, and some also include an additional layer. The second one is smaller, and it is designed to collect tiny particles and to keep them from being released back into the air. If you have asthma or any type of allergies, consider a vacuum that comes with a certified HEPA filter because they are designed to eliminate dust and other allergens and to make sure they don’t get released back into the air.
What type of mess do you clean most of the time? Answering this question is important because some vacuum models are designed for cleaning a particular kind of mess. Some are targeted at cleaning hair, others are intended for dust and so on.
And last but not least, if you are a person with hearing sensitivities, also think about how much noise are you able to tolerate. Lots of models come with noise-canceling features, and smaller vacuums usually produce less noise than larger models.